Saturday was the baby shower, hosted by Kat. I was looking forward to it like a kid looks forward to Christmas morning. All my trepidation about a wedding shower (as in, no way did I want one) wasn't around for this. This just sounded like tons of fun. How is looking at cute baby clothes and other things not a completely great way to spend an afternoon?
Anyway, 15 people came together to fete Ms. Speedy prior to her arrival and I am just astounded at the generosity of my family and friends and the thoughtfulness of gifts.
Perhaps what will be most treasured is the blanket that was co-knit by Emily, Nate, Todd, my Mom and Aunt Ellen. Honestly, what makes me love it the most is Nate's square. That my 7 year old nephew would agree to do something like that and really try at it just makes me want to cry! His square has lots of funny little spots and you can see where Todd did some of the work, but it is such a wonderful expression of love that I just love having it.
After so many years of making baby gifts for other people, I also love that the crafty people in my life made things for my child. Aunt Pat made this amazing diaper bag and changing pad and filled it with little goodies I'll use. Aunt Ellen knit a hat in beautiful colors that has a little heart on the back and the eensiest little pair of socks to match. My grandmother (at age 93) also knit a little bonnet. My mom finished a pair of adorable, super soft overalls (that were cut out when Nate was born). Of course, the super cute penguin onesies, car seat, highchair, mobile, books, wash clothes, bibs, bowls, spoons, rattles, pack and play, bouncy chair, clothes, door jumper and everything else is incredibly appreciated. I love when people give a gift that is reflective of them and am so grateful for everything we were given, but as a crafty lady, those homemade ones stand out in my mind.
It also felt like one more big hurdle to getting ready for the baby to arrive. I have a pile of clothing to wash and put away in the new dresser, all ready for a little body to put them on. We go tonight night to do the hospital tour and meet the other midwives who might be on call when I go into labor. After that we have a one-time newborn essentials class, continued practice on the hypnobirthing, write out our birth preferences for the midwives and hospital staff and we are set. Or, as set as any two people can be to have their lives turned totally topsy turvy by a wonderful little squalling bundle of joy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment