Friday, September 18, 2009

Another hilarious moment in gestation...

....yesterday I had a midwives appointment in the morning. Besides listening to the heartbeat (clocked in at 146, nice and healthy) they now check the position of the baby. For my last two visits before this one, or for about a month, she's been head down, spine to my right side, bum up.

For some reason yesterday when they checked she'd spun herself around to be head up. This was confirmed by shoving around my uterus from the outside to feel her head (she kicked the midwife when this was done) and a rather uncomfortable pelvic exam done sans lube (owww) to feel her bum through my cervix (no joke).

So, there is still plenty of time for her to flip before she gets too big, but they'd like me to try several things on my own before moving onto more extensive flipping measures. One is to put myself into a position called polar bear, where you are on your knees and get your pelvis higher than your head. The other is to elevate your hips up on 3-4 pillows and lie there. In both cases, it allows the baby to slide out of your pelvis and into your abdomen where there is more room to move.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to try the hips on pillows. Oh. My. God. I'm so cumbersome with my large belly and lack of abdominal muscles that it was a complete fail. I got myself up on the pillows, but then couldn't really lower my torso down due to the aforementioned lack of abs. So I rolled slightly to my side and managed to roll right off the pillows. The second time I got slihgtly further with it, but the disadvantage of doing this is that she slides even further up into my lungs making breathing even harder. Yeah. After 2 or 3 tries I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, but nevertheless, I gave up and decided to try it another day.

Clearly this move will require some assistance and I'm feeling rather glad that there wasn't a hidden camera in the closet secretly filming as I flopped around liked a beached whale.

No comments: