Saturday, October 25, 2008

God must be a comedian

Late Friday afternoon I boarded the 77 for my trek home from work. It was one of the more crowded and shall we say, fragrant, rides home. Jammed next to a large man who had spent too many hours away from a bathtub, I pulled out my book and tried to focus in on the words. I've been re-reading Eat, Pray, Love and was towards the end, when she begins to talk about romance with the guy she has met in Indonesia. As I read her words I started to think about how nice it would be to have a guy who brought some romance into my life. Then, my mind wandered to the time I've spent with Matt this year and a part of me definitely wishes that there were that spark between us. It would be so easy to build something with him because I adore so many other elements of him, there just doesn't seem to be that attraction. For a brief moment I let myself wonder what it would be like if he were suddenly to become romantic.

Just as my brain drifted to that place my phone chimed telling me I had a text message. Matt's name popped up on the screen and while I hit the button to display the message, I thought to myself, how funny Universe, maybe he's going to ask me to do something tonight and this is a sign...

Do you want to know what the message said?

Wait for it?

"Hold onto that Hookers and Blow T-shirt. They just changed their name to Cease and Desist, it is sure to become a collector's item."

Yes, Universe, you confirmed quite nicely for me that this is not the romantic match for me. Hear ya loud and clear on that one.

I just chuckled and put my phone back into my bag and went back to my book.

No comments: