It is Friday and I've got all of 15 minutes to myself before having to teach for the remainder of the day. The one bonus is that my last student is away with the Glee Club at Princeton. I offered him the option of coming really early this morning for his lesson and he said he'd get back to me. He didn't and therefore, there'll be no makeup. Free money for me.
Seriously though, this has been one of those weeks. I'm struggling with a project at work the logistical nightmare level of which is one I've never before encountered. I've scheduled meetings with everyone I can think of who might provide some insight into said issue, hoping to emerge with a slightly more cohesive problem. Solutions have ranged from the Tim Gunn-ish "Make it work," offered by my boss who couldn't conceptualize his way out of a paper bag, to "Oh, hmmm, let me think on it," or "Why are you meeting with me?" to someone basically saying "for shizz, you are fucked here." Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of. Too many years of bad record keeping make for the current nightmare, and I'm torn between being the person who rights it all knowing that 1) no one else gives a crap and 2) going forward it is highly unlikely that the new fantastically wonderful system I put into place will be complied with and several years from now the program will be right back in this same situation. Did I mention that this project falls no where into anything remotely related to my job description, but the person who should be doing it is about as likely to follow through as he is to come to work before 2 in the afternoon?
What's a girl to do? I think the solution is to design something workable that will cause the least amount of stress for me and go for it. I'm finding of late that I no longer need to be the person with all the answers to all the problems and has to get an A on everything. Being a B student sounds just fine for right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment