Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's a Yogi to do?

It is no secret that Ben and I plan to get married. The ring was found on Saturday and purchased yesterday (delivery around April 3!).

Growing up I never spent a lot of time fantasizing about my wedding. About as far as I got was interrupting Star Wars play to have Princess Leia and Han Solo get married and leave for the honeymoon, rather than stay and destroy the evil forces of Darth Vader. And maybe a few times I put a pillow case on my head as a pretend veil.

So, as an adult who has chosen to pursue and embrace yoga and much of the life principles that come with it, I feel totally stuck in regards to planning a wedding. So much of the wedding industry is focused on the things I don't agree with or find necessary; excess, luxury, waste etc. I want a ceremony that reflects who Ben and I are as people - our love and appreciation for each other, nature, the arts, spirituality and religion as well as an awareness of the greater world - to be shared with those we love and care about. It would be nice to follow that event with some kind of a further celebration.

Here's where Pandora's box gets opened. The further celebration is usually a reception followed by sit down meal. It is almost impossible to find a venue that doesn't make things start spiraling. The costs start at ridiculous and quickly move to ludicrous. I just don't feel the need to spend $25,000 to share with the world that we want to be married. I'm not sure I think I need to spend $10,000 to share with the world that we want to be married. Every place seems interested in showing me how they will provide 4-star everything for my every wedding need. I don't need or want a $5,000 rental and $100 a head dinner with all the trappings and formalities. I have zero interest in visiting multiple caterers to try food, and go to bakers and taste cakes, try out DJs, discuss linens. Those aren't what being married is about to me.

So, what would I like?
I'd like a ceremony as listed above. It could be at a church, outdoors or some other venue.

I'd like those I love to be involved in the ceremony in some way. A maid of honor, two flower girls and a ring bearer, a reader or two, a friend to sing.

I'd like a white dress, but I don't need gloves, a veil, a manicure, a pedicure, teeth whitening, spa treatments for my body and a hairstylist to get me ready. I want to look like me at my wedding.

I'd like to be mindful of our impact on the earth - maybe use e-invites to avoid paper waste, plants on tables and simple bouquets of flowers, hold it locally to minimize gas use and hotel staying for attendees

I'd like to do something after the ceremony to continue the celebration. Something like a cook out where we can just hang out and spend time with those we love, or raise our glasses in toast and then dance the night away.

If we rent a location for the after part, I'd like our money to go towards an organization we believe in - where they are mindful of the world around them and interested in making a difference.

It is hard to hold onto the belief that it is possible to do all this and not offend people in some way for not following with formality or tradition, or find a place that would allow for those types of non-luxury weddings to happen. I don't want planning to lead to excessive stress in my relationship or in our families. I realize there is some stress that is inherent to the process, but surely it can be mitigated.

Ideas, anyone?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WTF?!?!? You all got a ring?? That's awesome!! Congratulations! Awesome awesome!