Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What did you do with your weekend?

We spent $1700 on new appliances - dishwasher (we don't have one, but decided it was a necessity with baby coming) and a new washer and dryer (we have them now but definitely new will be a huge step up)!

I have to say, all of this was made possible due to our registry on ourwishingwell.com. Thank goodness for non-traditional registry sites. The everyday stuff of life we had in abundance and the last thing I wanted was more *crap* to clog up our lives. In fact, we still have many boxes of duplicates in the basement that Ben wasn't quite ready to part with. But, through that website we were able to register for things honeymoon related and bigger stuff like a washer and dryer, the dishwasher a video camera etc.

My aunt and uncle gave us funds for the washer/dryer and we used some cash we got to put towards the dishwasher.

I did some research online about portable dishwashers and we decided to trek to Home Depot which had the one I thought we should get on sale. Once there we decided to investigate washers and dryers rather than trying to find time to make a second trip.

Fortunately, we had the most helpful appliance man ever, Sam, who talked us through all our options. He was a civil engineer in his career, has since retired and now works at Home Depot. I have to say I have never met a nicer person in the retail world. He was able to answer all and even anticipate some of my questions and wasn't trying to constantly up sell us, something I can't stand. We got the right models for us and felt very happy with our experience.

And, best of all, everything is arriving this Friday. Every night this week I've announced "Honey, this is the last (fill in blank with day of week) night of doing dishes by hand."

Guess it is a true sign of adulthood that I'm excited by large appliances....

No comments: