Monday, July 20, 2009

Launching Homework



Each chapter of Ladies who Launch comes with 'homework' to do. One of the first assignments is to start imagining what you want and create a vision board where you post words and pictures that represent what you want to manifest. Here's my board. The top half is devoted to professional things and the bottom to family. I made this on my last go-round of manifesting, so this time I needed to switch things up and so I took a bunch of stuff off (like wedding dress pictures and engagement rings) that I no longer needed. The center is still my post it on which I wrote what I wanted in life: Husband, Job I love, Child. Well, one down, one in progress and one to do.

The bottom part was easier to accomplish. Finding pictures in magazines of appealing houses, gardens, kitchens etc. is fairly do-able. I bought 3 or 4 women's magazines and leafed through, pulling things out as I saw fit.

What I found very interesting is none of those magazines deal very directly with women's professional lives. The closest they tend to come is discussing it in the realm of fashion and what you are going to wear to work, not where you are going to work. There was one article about Gene Shalit's daughter and the way she built her business by working with Rwandan women who made baskets and now sell them here in the US. I cut out the title of the article "Dream Weaver" under which, in very small letters, it says "no ordinary business woman". By and large, though, according to Redbook, Ladies Home Journal, Marie Claire and Better Homes and Gardens, women aren't supposed to contemplate their jobs. I think O Magazine might have some more professional types of articles, but there is still an over abundance of fashion in the workplace in that magazine as well.

There are still some open spaces on the board for me to fill things in as I find them. I have it up in the extra bedroom where I will see it each morning when I go to do yoga. The next bit of homework tackles the financial side of being self employed which will also end up being pretty revealing, I would guess.

No comments: