Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Garden Gnome is chipped

As of Monday at 9:30 am, Calliope is now a trackable kitty. Well, more accurately, she's a traceable kitty. Post collar slipping in the basement, I decided getting her implanted with a microchip was the way to go. For $35 my regular vet was willing to numb her up with some lidocaine and jam a rather large needle into her scruff, implanting a coded chip the size of a grain of rice.

Now, if she goes missing, we can call the chip company and they will send out an SOS to all Vet's and Shelters in 20 miles. They'll post pictures and hope to bring her little self back home if she's lost.

I figure this pretty much guarantees she will never stray from the DiCecca's garden where she likes to perch like a little garden gnome, amongst the rows of tomato plants. Seriously. She will meow, meow, meow asking to go out and then goes 15 feet and sits in the garden for hours on end. We think she and her boyfriend Bruce might be having a little tiff because he hasn't been around to visit much lately. Or maybe she just made him fear for his life so he's keeping his distance.

I should add that when Ben cleaned out her litter this week, there was a little surprise in her poo. An undigested beetle. Yup. The cat ate a beetle. That can't have felt good going down, being in or working its way out. Guess you have to learn those things the hard way when your brain is the size of a walnut and you love to chase bugs.

While we were at the Vet's I asked if there were any plans to add GPS to the chips. If she ever does wander, I'd love to know where she goes....

No comments: