Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Craft it!

...for some reason to creation vibe is on high alert in me. Making these little knitted goods is not enough. I'm having designs on a craft room filled to the gills with things I will make...quilts, sweaters, funky bags, hats and whatever else I can think of.

Right now to make something that requires my sewing machine I have to go through a process that involves removing everything from the dining room table (often no small task) to set up and then take it all down again so the table can go back to a space used for eating. We have a built in china cabinet in the dining room and several of the drawers are co-opted for fabric and notion storage. My yarn is currently bursting out of the yarn basket my mom gave me a while ago. I have a separate bag of all the knitting needles my grandmother passed on to me. It would be nice to organize it (another urge that is running on high alert on me - it takes much willpower to not have at Ben's closet).

Here are some ideas of things I'd like to make:
  • Finish Speedy's sweater - should go fast, it is only 8 inches of knitting plus sleeves
  • Finish the top secret wedding present
  • A turtle hat for Casey's little boy, Jason
  • A baby quilt for Speedy - using the butterfly pattern I've had for years but have been too intimidated to try to make.
  • Some other baby quilts - I always have patterns floating around in my head
  • I'd love to try making some little baby clothes because they look fairly simple and super cute
  • We need a new throw quilt in the living room. The one I made in 1998 has been well loved and is very ratty
Just in case you are wondering this creation vibe isn't limited to crafts. I've been going through recipe books and seeing things I really want to make there too. At the top of the list if my grandmother's Oatmeal Molasses Bread. I have such strong memories of having sandwiches at their house in Laconia made out of that bread along with toast with peanut butter in the morning. For some reason peanut butter always tasted better at their house.

I realize the next few weeks are going to be largely about wedding, but after that, look out! I am going to go on a little spree, I can just feel it... I'll post pictures as I go....

No comments: