Whiling away 45 minutes when a student no-showed today for a lesson, I read the latest issue of the Improper Bostonian. Those who know me know of my, um, affinity for the magazine (though they stopped running horoscopes which makes me very sad). Today, as I flipped through - always back to front - I paused to look at the Last Scene Here page where various parties around Boston are written up with photos of local celebutants. This issue's parties included a Comedy night to benefit the NAACP, a black tie event to raise money for PETA, and an event called Tits for Tots.
No joke. The event raised money to "insure that any female infant enrolled in the program will have the means to get a boob job when the time comes." I was so shocked that I tore the page out and knew right away I needed to write a post about it. Once home I googled the event to see what more I could learn. I wanted to name names and post photos of women who would support such an endeavor.
All I could find was Carmen Electra's video post promoting her best Christmas gift idea, Tits for Tots - what every girl wants for Christmas - a boob job. Humpf, I thought. Surely someone, somewhere wrote something up about this event beyond the inimitable Jonathan Soroff in the Improper.
I went back and read the article over again (truthfully, earlier in the day I never made it past the first paragraph that explained the event, I was so shocked). I read all the way through, swallowing back the bile that built up in the back of my mouth as they listed off the women in attendance, the auction of certificates for a year's worth of Restalyne and a shopping spree at La Perla along with party favors that were labeled "fun bags"
Ugh, I thought, just another shining example of what's wrong with our society. But, wait. What's this? In small print at the bottom of the page...."Oh, and by the way....April Fools'!"
Jeez. Let that be a lesson. Always read everything, from start to finish. Not only might the heroine in the book you read in class have died which could be a crucial element for your term paper, but maybe, just maybe, someone is pulling your leg....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment