Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Practicing Doing Nothing

This morning I had my first run at doing nothing. For the first time since September 8th I did nothing while riding the bus to work. Every other day this fall was spent riding the bus doing reading or reviewing for my class. (and, actually, over the summer, bus rides were spent memorizing music, so it really has been a long time). Sometimes I would make flashcards (which were often impossible to read if the bus moved funny and jogged my hand while writing) and sometimes I'd read over lectures or skim the book for stuff I hadn't fully understood in lecture.

It was interesting to just sit this morning, look out the window, gaze around and take in my surroundings. In the past I've had trouble transitioning from being super busy to having little to do. Somehow, this time I don't think it'll be hard.

The week is far from over with two big days of major work to be done at the depository to turn over our holdings into a new account, Christmas shopping to be done, visits to my family and Ben's this weekend, and a book to finish and review for yoga, but with one major thing off my shoulders I feel lighter. Majorly lighter.

Next week I've banned myself from making any plans beyond travel home to NH. No overdoing it with making up for trying to see friends I've not seen in a while, scheduling time with Steven to talk about singing or Carol to have a lesson. I need to sit and just watch the world go by for a few days, let my eyes rest and my body begin to feel its way into whatever comes next.

1 comment: