Monday, December 1, 2008

The air of December...

...loved that Edie Brickell song.

It is December 1 and that means several things.
1) Tonight is my second to last Voice Disorders Class.
2) There are two full weeks of teaching left in the term. I'll have one medium sized week of makeups in January and then not teach again until mid-February.
3) This Friday is the beginning of the second to last yoga weekend in that program.
4) I think I just might make it through this semester without totally losing my marbles despite having a dream last night in which I was sobbing and saying 'I'm so overwhelmed'. For the record, feeling overwhelmed was so 2 weeks ago...

It is hard to not just focus on life after December 15 (final exam for Voice Disorders class), but I kinda am. There is so much interesting information that has come out of the class, but tonight we're talking about laryngeal cancer and total laryngectomies. I'm fairly certain you can't sing without a larynx, so the topic ain't so interesting to me and therefore in my mind I'm already on to life after the final exam.

When the time comes, I wonder if I'll be paralyzed by free time or just happily ease into reading trash and reclining on the couch? The idea of having time to go to the gym, see friends, watch bad tv, Christmas shop, look at music I might want to sing and start some for-fun projects is so appealing. I can't imagine feeling despondent or lost without more work to do. I have made a promise to myself that I'm not taking on any new projects or doing things to better myself personally or professionally in second semester. Please bop me on the head if you hear me start talking about getting certified in something or thinking I need to do something else to make myself qualified to do what I want professionally. No, no, NO!

A part of me senses the rest of my life might be about to move into fast forward in the coming months, so I'm hoping to savor a little quiet time in the final weeks of this year.

Now, as it is almost 3:30, I need a snack before going to class....

No comments: