Thursday, January 15, 2009

Those things you put off.

Those things. The printer that lives in your dining room for 9 months because you need to bring it to your workplace where it can be recycled rather than pitching it out with the trash, but you don't so it sits and accumulates dust until one day you decide to just schlep it on the bus with you down to work. Or the giant bag of good will clothes that sits in the trunk of your car for 4 months before you actually take it one random morning and deposit it with the good folks at Goodwill.

Why do we let that stuff hang around and not get done? I do it just as much as the next person. What I know happens is that as soon as I register something as a task to do, it gets a little piece of real estate in my head. Until it is completed, my brain has a system to periodically remind me that the shit still needs to be done. Depending on the level of importance, that reminder can happen anywhere from once a week to once a day, usually around 3am.

What's also weird is the sickening sense of satisfaction that comes with finally completing the task. If it feels so good to accomplish things, why not just do it when you initially think of it, rather than waiting a year?

Thoughts on why we all do this (at least, I'm assuming I'm not alone here)?

The next thing that will be on my brain is addressing the closet of doom in the back bedroom. In it resides all sorts of things that I've managed to move multiple times within this city and halfway across the country and back. Uhhh, maybe it is time to part with most of it....and maybe, just maybe, I won't wait until next year to do it...

4 comments:

Erica Hansen said...

I love this post Sarah. Thanks!

Unknown said...

For me putting things off is almost an act of defiance sometimes. Like a 'you can't tell me what to do' even if I'm the one telling me to do it. Makes a lot of sense I'm sure :)

Kay Morgan said...

I am, no doubt, the master putter-offer, and it's usually about not enough time in the day, and that new, higher-priority tasks always surface that I would either rather do or MUST do. Eventually, there's a HUGE backlog of things that have been put off (like a whole basement worth, for example.....)
I think it is an inherited trait! So sorry!!!

Brianne said...

You're totally right. It's the same thing with working out, I don't despise working out and I feel great afterward, but actually motivating myself to do it is where the chore lies.